Saturday, January 19, 2013

3, 2, 1, GO!!!

Whoa, it has been a crazy start to 2013.  If you haven't heard, I had the privilege of being a guest on episode 34 of the Pocket Moon Podcast.  If you'd like to listen, that link is here or subscribe to Pocket Moon Podcast on iTunes.  It was a great experience and I am really grateful that Tom and John are part of the Little Big Planet community.

This week kicked off half of our LBP Design Club.  The Racers were first.  The Racers are the group of kids who are primarily focused on making tracks or arenas using Little Big Planet Karting.  In our first meeting we talked about what the kids wanted to do with the game.  They all expressed a desire to make something.  I explained to them that my goal for them is help them find what they enjoy doing most and encourage them to focus primarily on that.  Little Big Planet is such a vibrant community of people that really do so many different things. I would like to see these students try out the different parts of create mode and then really focus on what they like best.


Our first meeting was a lot of fun.  We watched a couple of tutorials and talked about what the different things meant.  I don't want to throw all of the tutorials at them at once, so we are kind of dipping our toes in and then playing around for now.  The focus on these early meetings is letting the kids play the game to get a feel for what they like and don't like.


My two girls tackled the game running on the projector while my lone boy in the Racers set out on his own on another television.  They all had a good time commenting on the "awesome" big jumps, short cuts, and music, which I pumped through an old stereo in my room.  When we finished I told them to think about what they liked and didn't like about what they played and how they might incorporate those thoughts as they start putting their ideas together.


Sadly, because of the winter weather we got Thursday my Runners (Those working primarily with Little Big Planet 2) were forced to wait another week.  Overall, it was a good start for this group.  We will be playing for a few more weeks before we really sink our fingers into create mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment