Thursday, December 20, 2012

Play testing Stop, Thief! with the students

In September I stopped working on shooting gallery where students shot at multiples of a given number in order to meet a more immediate need: Place Value.  The fruits of that labor can be found here; Stop Thief: A Place Value Game.  The level was published last night.  However, in December, I got to partake in one of my favorite things to do with the kids; play test.  You see after I pour hours and hours into these projects it is fun to give it to the kids and say "Alright, break it while I watch."  I say this sincerely.  I take a great deal of joy in watching them break my levels, or die in the same spot over and over, or point out an obvious detail that I missed.  To share in the fun, here are a few pictures and a couple of quotes from that day.  I'll be back with more about using the level later on.

Girl student: "Mr. Renard, this number doesn't have any comma's, but all the rest of them do."

Me: "Huh, how bout that?"

They all wanted to hold Sackboy.


Boy student: "Mr. Renard, instead of going to the end of the level I fell off the building and now I am stuck in the bad guys hiding space behind the number three."


Girl student: "Mr. Renard instead of trying to jump over to the other building, can you put one of those bouncy things in."

Me: "Why? You'll still be jumping from one roof top to the other."

Girl student: "Yeah, but he doesn't do the pretty spin when you jump normal."
Note: I did add the bounce pads so you can do a pretty spin from one building to another.



Boy student: "Mr. Renard, you can't leave this wall (before you bounce up the ally) blank.  Is there spray paint in the game?"

Me: "No, but I am planning on putting some stickers there."

Boy student: "Can it be stickers of cool things?"

Me: "Sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment